Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Browsing for Reference Works
Books, including those in Reference, are shelved in general subject categories using the Library of Congress classification system. You may want to supplement your use of the catalog with browsing shelf areas for your topic. Below is a brief listing of some of the subject locations in the field of Russian and Eastern European Studies.
- DJK 1-77 History of Eastern Europe
- DK 1-949.5 History of Russia, Soviet Union, former Soviet republics
- PG 2001-3987 Russian, White Russian and Ukrainian language and literature
Recommended Reference Works
- Oxford Russian Dictionary - Ref PG2640.W5 2000
Translations of words from Russian to English and from English to Russian.
- Slovar' russkogo iazyka - Ref PG2625.A4 (4 vols.)
A four-volume Russian dictionary.
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of Russia and the Former Soviet Union - Ref DK 14 .C35 1994
Arranged according to topic, this encyclopedia provides information on the geography, people. religion, history, art and architecture, language and literature, cultural life, sciences, politics, economy, society, military and international relations of Russia. Although somewhat dated, most of the information is still relevant.
- Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia 2002 - Ref HC244.A1 E29 2002
Each country entry contains geographical information, a historical chronology, essays on politics and the economy, a statistical survey and a directory containing names and addresses of organizations and people associated with a variety of areas from government to education. Countries covered are Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and the Ukraine.
- Encyclopedia of Eastern Europe from the Congress of Vienna to the Fall of Communism - Ref DJK 6 .E53 2000
Offers long essays on the countries and regions of Eastern Europe as well as shorter entries on history, geography, culture, concepts, and prominent figures.
- Encyclopedia of Russian History - Ref DK 14 .E53 2004 (4 vols.)
Offers succinct but scholarly articles on events, cultural developments, ethnic groups, economic issues, organizations, prominent historical figures, and issues in Russian history.
- Encyclopedia of Russian and Slavic Myth and Legend - Ref BL 930 .D58 1998
This resource covers the common characters, myths, legends and themes in Russia and the Slavic countries.
- Handbook of Russian Literature - Ref PG 2940 .H29 1985
Covers Russian writers, critics, topics such as "folk song," and literary movements. Each essay is concise, and is followed by a bibliography of works in Russian editions, in English translation, and selected secondary sources.
- Reference Guide to Russian Literature - Ref PG2940.R44 1998
A guide containing biographical sketches of 273 major Russian writers. Each entry also highlights the author's major works and includes a bibliography of the author's works and a bibliography of critical studies.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License