Clear Lake Evangelical Lutheran Church. Records of Clear Lake Evangelical Lutheran Church, Gibbon, Minnesota, 1871-1988. LCA Collection 20. 1 Records Center Carton, 2 half Hollinger boxes, 1 flat box, and 1 oversize folder.
The Clear Lake Evangelical Lutheran Church collection consists of the church’s records from its founding in 1871 to its closing in 1988. Materials include minutes, membership lists, transfer records, financial ledgers, baptism certificates, marriage certificates, land deeds, cemetery deeds, records of ministerial acts, and event programs. The church served a Swedish-American population, and therefore, many early records are in Swedish. Clear Lake Evangelical Lutheran Church was located in Gibbon, Minnesota.
Swedish Clear Lake Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sibley County was founded on 30 October 1871. There was no church building when the constitution was signed, and a debate continued for six years as to where the church would be built. During that time, there were essentially two congregations, East and West. In 1877, the church was finally built, and the two congregations merged. The congregation adopted the 1939 Synod constitution during the January 1940 annual meeting. Subsequently, the church’s name changed from the Swedish Clear Lake Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sibley County to the Clear Lake Evangelical Lutheran Church of Gibbon, Minnesota. The church was dissolved on 31 December 1988.
This collection is divided into four series: administrative, financial, committees and groups, and miscellaneous.
Administrative, 1871-1977: This series is comprised of administrative materials such as birth certificates, cemetery deeds with corresponding map, transfer certificates, church registers, records of ministerial acts, marriage licenses, lists of confirmands, and construction contracts.
Financial, 1910-88: This series holds financial records of the church. There are mostly treasurer’s books, but there are also some bank statements, bills, a stock certificate, and insurance policies.
Committees and Groups, 1895-1979: This series consists of minutes, treasurer’s books from the Centennial Committee, the Ladies Aid Society, L.C.W., the Lutheran Brotherhood/Churchmen, the Willing Workers, and the Women’s Club.
Miscellaneous, 1877-1980: Retained in this series are a number of miscellaneous items such as programs and greetings from different anniversaries of the church. There is also a guest book, and newspaper articles.