Department of Theatre and Dance. Collection of the Department of Theatre and Dance, 1916-Ongoing. GACA Collection 309. 5 Records Center Cartons, 3 Hollinger boxes, 2 half Hollinger boxes, 3 video boxes, 4 flat boxes, and digital media.
The Department of Theatre and Dance collection contains photographs, posters, programs, other publicity, recordings, histories, newsletters, and newspaper clippings. Also included are budgets, course planning materials, department files, minutes, information about alumni. The first theatre production at Gustavus Adolphus College was the all-college play The Queen’s Husband in May 1932.
In 2007, the Theatre and Dance Department celebrated its 75 year anniversary, dating back to the first all-college play, The Queen’s Husband in 1932. Beginning in 1929, the Speech Department offered a Dramatic Production class. Advanced Dramatic Production began in 1935 and Theory of Acting in 1945. In 1970 the Speech Department changed its name to the Speech and Theatre Department. Theatre became its own department in 1985 and added Dance to its title in 1990.
This collection is divided into eight series: Academics; Administration; Alumni; Financial; Photographs, Slides and Negatives; Posters, Programs, and Publicity; Recordings; and Miscellaneous.