This collection is divided into sections for each committee and arranged alphabetically. Each section contains committee meeting minutes and some contain additional documentation.
Academic Affairs Coordinating Council (AACC), 2001-10
- To oversee and coordinate academic program initiatives.
- To collect and distribute information regarding innovative practices at other institutions, and to initiate proposals appropriate to the College’s academic renewal.
- To conduct appropriate continuing self-study of academic policies and programs.
- To recommend such policies and programs to the faculty, as it deems possible.**
Academic Computer Committee, 1973
Academic Technology Committee (ATC), 2010-Ongoing
- To recommend, review and evaluate implementation of policy in support of GTS’ mission as it relates to academic technology.
- To assist GTS in the planning and implementation of academic technology initiatives.
- To support, in cooperation with other stakeholders, clear and regular communication between the faculty, the Provost’s Office, the Library and GTS on issues related to academic technology, including an annual report delivered to Faculty Senate.
- To recommend and evaluate implementation of academic technology budgeting priorities funded through the College’s budget allocations to GTS.
- To advise the Budget Committee on long- and short-term funding issues related to academic technology.
- To contribute to GTS advisory committee decision making on broad technology issues.**
Class Scheduling Committee, 1986-87
Committee for the Assessment of Student Learning (CASL), 2014-Ongoing
- To serve as the primary body with the faculty governance structure tasked with leadership and oversight of assessment of student learning. The committee shall report to the faculty on all matters pertaining to the assessment of student learning in the College. The committee should work collaboratively with the College Assessment Director(s), Director of the Kendall Center, Office of the Provost, and Office of Institutional Research in the formulation and development of all proposals dealing with assessment of student learning.
- To collaborate with the College Assessment Director(s) in prioritizing and supporting institutional goals for the assessment of student learning, including the operation of ongoing systems of assessment of student learning and the review of departmental and program mission statements, objectives, plans, and reports as they relate to the assessment of student learning.
- To maintain a clearinghouse of resources related to the assessment of student learning, including departmental practices and data.
- To collaborate with the Kendall Center and College Assessment Director(s) to provide faculty development opportunities related to the assessment of student learning.
- To advise the Director of General Education on assessment of student learning in the following areas: First Term Seminar, Liberal Arts Perspective, Three Crowns Curriculum, Writing Across the Curriculum, and Interim Experience.*** (Formerly the Program Assessment and Development Committee)
COSIP (College Science Improvement Program) Committee, 1971-72
Department Chairs and Program Directors Committee (DCPDC), 1988-89 and 2002-Ongoing
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, 2013-Ongoing
- To work to encourage diversity, equity, and inclusion at every level of college life.
- To participate in developing and executing policies and plans for integrating a culture of inclusion into the basic functions of the College.
- To gather and disseminate diversity-related information, innovative strategies, and appropriate policies to departmental faculty and staff, administrative offices, and other faculty committees.
- To encourage and support hiring decisions and retention goals that promote geographic representation domestically and internationally, discipline-specific diversity, and representation from underrepresented groups.
- To work in collaboration with other campus units to periodically assess the College's progress on achieving its goals for diversity and retention.
- To review and make recommendations as appropriate on employee policies in order to enhance the campus climate for inclusion, so that its aspiration to be "a community of persons from diverse backgrounds who respect and affirm the dignity of all people" is realized.***
Faculty Committee on Student Life (FCSL), 2006-Ongoing
- Originate, review, and recommend policy concerning those aspects of student life that relate to the educational process.
- Review and make recommendations on the effect of co-curricular and extracurricular programs (e.g., athletics, music, publications) on the educational programs and progress of students.
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the Dean of Students on aspects of student life and college student life policy.
- Serve as liaison to the faculty regarding student life policy and issues. Faculty Handbook (Yellow Pages) 23
- Designate faculty members to serve on the campus Judicial Board.** (Formerly the Student Life Committee)
Faculty Workload Committee, 1986-90 and undated
General Education Working Group, 1996-97
Global Engagement Committee (GEC), 2014-Ongoing
- To participate in developing and executing policies and plans for integrating a culture of global engagement into the curriculum and life of the College.
- To work with administrative offices and other faculty committees to implement global literacies and skills into the College curriculum.
- To advise and make recommendations as appropriate regarding the work of the Center for International and Cultural Education (CICE).
- To collaborate with CICE, the College Assessment Director, and other campus units in articulating, assessing, and promoting student learning outcomes for off-campus study.
- To maintain the GEC Policy Manual to guide off-campus teaching curriculum, policies, and procedures.
- To consider and approve proposals for new and repeat for-credit, off-campus January term courses, and semester off-campus programs. Particular attention will be paid to their conformance to the GEC Policy Manual. When proposed for a semester program, such courses will be submitted to the Course Approval Subcommittee.
- To work in collaboration with other campus units to encourage and support hiring decisions and retention goals that promote geographic representation domestically and internationally, discipline-specific diversity, and representation from underrepresented groups. Faculty Handbook (Yellow Pages) 14
- To work in collaboration with other campus units to periodically assess the College’s progress on achieving its curricular and institutional goals for global engagement. *** (Formerly the International and Domestic Programs Committee)
Intercollegiate Athletics Committee, 1971-74
- Liaison between Faculty and organizations governing intercollegiate athletics.
- Review and recommendation of intercollegiate athletic policy and its execution.
- Clear scheduling and Public Events Committee. *
International and Domestic Programs Committee (IDPC), 2005-14
- To work with administrative offices and other faculty committees to support the College’s mission of fostering an international perspective within the Gustavus community.
- To review and make recommendations as appropriate regarding off-campus study issues such as geographic representation, disciplinary and interdisciplinary representation, budgeting, liability and transportation.
- To review and recommend policies for the IDPC Program Manual for Gustavus Adolphus College.
- To consider proposals for off-campus domestic and international programs and courses. Particular attention will be paid to their conformance to the IDPC Program Manual. Upon approval of the IDPC, such courses, when proposed for January Interim Experience, will be submitted directly to the Curriculum Committee. When proposed for the semester, such courses will be submitted to the Course Approval Subcommittee. To consider and approve repeat off-campus January Term course proposals.
- To review and make recommendations in support of the mission of the Center for International and Cultural Education including: evaluation and assessment of existing off-campus study courses and programs offered both by Gustavus and other institutions; study of the feasibility and initiation of new off-campus study courses and programs of the College; promotion of off-campus study among students and faculty; advising and assistance regarding recruitments, admission and support of international students; recruitment of visiting international scholars in cooperation with academic departments and programs.
- To consider and recommend field directors for Gustavus term programs such as the Term in Germany and Term in India.
- To hear appeals of decisions made by the Center for International and Cultural Education. ** (Changed to Global Engagement Committee.)
Personnel Committee, 1971-74
- Advise the administration regarding promotions and tenure, departmental requests for additional staff, and faculty requests for leaves of absence.
- Provide appeal procedures for grievances relating to tenure and/or promotion.
- Provide procedures for other kinds of grievances and to assure the academic freedom of non-tenure faculty members. *
Program Assessment and Development Committee (PADC), 2006-14
- To assist departments and programs with the development and implementation of assessment plans and strategies.
- To assist and advise departments and programs on issues related to department or program reviews. ** (Changed to the Committee for the Assessment of Student Learning)
Student Life Committee, 1973
The function of this committee is origination, review and recommendation of policy concerning student life to faculty, administration and/or Student Senate. * (Changed to the Faculty Committee on Student Life)
Timetable Committee, 1989-96
*Taken from the Faculty Handbook, 1973-74.
**Taken from the Faculty Handbook, 2013-14.
***Taken from the Faculty Handbook, 2014-15.