Boarding Club of Johnson Hall. Records, 1910-1912. GACA Collection 14. 2 folders.
Records of the Boarding Club of Johnson Hall detail the efforts of the dormitory’s women to shape the running of their collective home. Materials include loose papers documenting the group’s expenditures on various events and minutes of the organization from its founding in September 1910 through October 1912. The group dealt with issues of visitor hours, meal planning, activity hours, cleaning duties, and party planning. It is unclear why there are no records past October 1912. Information found in the last remaining minutes from 16 October 1912 indicates the group’s commitment to electing new officers every two months.
Johnson Hall was built during 1908-1910. Campus leaders named the building Johnson Hall on 23 September 1909 to honor Governor John A. Johnson who died two days earlier. Miss Hilma Johnson became the hall’s first preceptress. Damage sustained during the 1998 tornado necessitated the building’s demolition.
Information obtained from Remember Thy Past: A History of Gustavus Adolphus College, 1962-1952 by Conrad Peterson.