The Cane of Andrew Thorson, 1875. CAMC Collection 159. 1 telescoping box.
The cane of Andrew Thorson collection contains one black wooden cane with a gold handle. The handle is engraved with the inscription “A. Thorson. A Token of Respect from the Citizens of St. Peter.” Thorson and his family were among the first settlers in the Norseland area of Minnesota Territory. While working as Register of Deeds of Nicollet County, Thorson and four others approached Eric Norelius and committee to offer St. Peter as a new site for Gustavus Adolphus College. The bid was accepted, and the local promoters raised the necessary funds and secured acreage where the college relocated in 1876.