Philomathian Society. Records and Philomathian Review, 1878-1912. GACA Collection 96. 2 Records Center Cartons.
The Philomathian Society of Gustavus Adolphus College collection consists of bound handwritten volumes of “The Philomathian Review,” meeting minutes, programs, the group’s constitution, a biographical account of the class of 1890, and a song book. The group sought to advance literary culture and was open to all students. Members published a weekly paper named “The Philomathian Review” with articles by editors and members and some content from outside sources. In addition, the group celebrated Gustavus Adolphus Day annually on 6 November with literary and musical entertainment. The Society was founded about 1878 and lasted until around 1916. There was brief interest in reviving the organization in subsequent years. Some early materials are entirely in Swedish while later writings are in English and Swedish.