Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Faculty Development Committee. Records of the Faculty Development Committee, 1982-Ongoin. GACA Collection 144. 1 Records Center Carton.
The Faculty Development Committee collection consists of this group’s records from 1982 through 1991. The bulk of documents are application packets detailing faculty research along with corresponding follow-up reports regarding previously funded work at Gustavus Adolphus College. In addition the collection contains correspondence, meeting minutes, surveys, reports, and faculty leave requests. Material is organized alphabetically. New materials will be added as they become available.
According to the 2008/09 Faculty Handbook of Gustavus Adolphus College, the functions of this committee are as follows.
- To encourage professional development by promoting planning and opportunities for growth throughout each stage of a faculty member’s career. The committee shall report to the faculty on all matters pertaining to faculty development in the college. The committee should work cooperatively with the Provost and the Office of Institutional Advancement in the formulation and development of all proposals dealing with faculty development.
- To support all forms of faculty development, including research, scholarship, and creativity; to support the development and broadening of scholarly and pedagogical competencies; and to encourage the publication, propagation, and exhibition of concrete results.
- To advise the Provost on establishing priorities regarding faculty requests for leaves of absence and other opportunities for faculty development.
- To evaluate faculty applications for sabbatical leaves and grants from the Research, Scholarship, and Creativity Funds and to advise the Provost concerning which should be funded. The committee will establish its own voting procedure for evaluating such requests.
- To review each year the relationship between goals for faculty development and the budget, and to make recommendations to the Provost for all funding of faculty development, including current line item budget figures for sabbatical leaves and for the Research, Scholarship, and Creativity Fund.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License