Skip to main content

GACA Collection 223. Gustavus College Women’s Club of the Twin Cities. Collection of the Gustavus College Women’s Club of the Twin Cities, 1952-1984 and undated: Overview

Need More Information?

To learn more about this collection please see the finding aid link found above, and/or visit the College and Lutheran Church Archives to use these primary sources.

Collection Description

Gustavus College Women’s Club of the Twin Cities.  Collection of the Gustavus College Women’s Club of the Twin Cities, 1952-1984 and undated.  GACA Collection 223.  12 folders.

ABSTRACT:
The Gustavus College Women’s Club of the Twin Cities collection consists of the records kept by the Twin Cities chapter of the Gustavus Women’s Club.  This particular acquisition contains multiple mediums and materials. Included in this collection are: meeting minutes, membership cards, two scrapbooks, and folders holding the constitution, correspondence, announcements, officers, and bank statements of the group.  Also included is a folder with membership lists.  This information is different than that of the membership cards.

Organization Note

Founded in 1926, the Gustavus College Women’s Club was originally called The Dames Club of Gustavus, which later became the Faculty Women’s Club, and finally ended with what it is known as today.  The Twin Cities chapter of the Gustavus College Women’s Club began 23 May 1951, although unofficially.  The group’s constitution appears to have been completed after the September 7th meeting, and their first regular meeting occurred 18 September 1951.  According to their Constitution, “the object of this club shall be to bind the Alumnae and friends of Gustavus closer together in friendship and loyalty to Gustavus Adolphus College.”  Given the title of this club, it makes sense that only women were allowed to be members of this organization.  Interestingly enough however, this is never specifically stated.  The organization Constitution declares, “any alumna, former student, or other friend of Gustavus Adolphus College is eligible for membership.”  From this statement, men (as long as they weren’t alumni) had the right be included in the club, but it is believed that this was never the intention of the Women’s Club.  Although the last meeting minutes are from 20 October 1969, it is unclear as to when the Twin Cities chapter of the Gustavus College Women’s Club officially became inactive, as other material in this collection dates from a later period.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License