Radio Stations at Gustavus Adolphus College, 1922-Ongoing. GACA Collection 345. 6 folders.
The Radio Stations at Gustavus collections consists of transcripts, clippings, correspondence, newsletters, mailings, and programs pertaining to the radio stations that Gustavus has broadcast through, or owned and operated itself. These stations include KYSM (Mankato), KGAC (St. Peter), and KGSM (St. Peter).
Gustavus began broadcasting chapel services and athletic events in the fall of 1938. The college’s Board agreed to lease a wire that would connect Gustavus with KYSM, a radio station in Mankato. On 4 October 1952, the student operated and controlled radio station KGAC began broadcasting. The station closed down due to a lack of student support in 1962. KGSM, a new student run radio station broadcasted by carrier current exclusively to campus dormitories, began in January 1972. Station activity became intermittent after the FCC license expired in the 1980s. In the early 2000s renewed student interest brought KGSM back as a webcast. As of 2013, the student radio station is broadcast entirely online.
*Taken from articles found in The Gustavian Weekly and from the KGSM website (http://kgsm.blog.gustavus.edu/the-history-of-kgsm/) 21 June 2013.