Gustavus Adolphus Academy. Student Records of the Academy, 1876-1931. GACA Collection 364. 1 oversize Hollinger box and 1 flat box.
The Gustavus Adolphus Academy collection contains student records from the school. Index cards, ledger sheets, and record books contain student names along with grades for the classes they were enrolled in. Also included are records from lessons, recitations, and enrollment slips. The Academy existed on the campus of Gustavus Adolphus College from 1877-1930.
Gustavus Adolphus College was founded as St. Ansgar’s Academy in 1862. Even after changing its name to a college, it still functioned solely as an academy until 1883 when the Collegiate Department began. The Academic and Collegiate Departments existed together, along with the School of Commerce and the Conservatory of Music. The Academy was designed to prepare students for proper college classes or to become teachers. Many students attended Gustavus Adolphus College after graduating from the Gustavus Adolphus Academy.
The Academy originally offered three courses of study; the Prepatory Course was 3 years of classes; the High School Course was 3 years; and the Normal Course was 1 year added to the end of the High School Course. The courses were designed to give students the same education as attending a public high school, with a little extra work in Swedish and Christianity. Over time, the different types of classes offered included Christianity, English, Mathematics, Expression, Themes, Swedish, Latin, History, Physiography, Domestic Art, German, Zoology, Mechanical Drawing, Physics, Book Keepings, Typewriting, and Music.
The Gustavus Adolphus Academy closed at the end of the 1929-30 academic year due to decreased enrollment.