St. Ansgar's Society. Collection of St. Ansgar's Society, October 1874. GACA Collection 384. 1 folder.
The St. Ansgar’s Society collection contains the organization’s Articles of Incorporation, a contract between the society and A.J. Carlson, and a stock certificate belonging to Andrew Nelson. St. Ansgar’s Academy located at East Union, Minnesota, was a small prepatory school run by the Lutheran Minnesota Conference of the Augustana Synod. In 1874 leaders began the planning process of moving the school to St. Peter, Minnesota. Subsequent to this decision, St. Ansgar’s Society was formed and entered into an agreement with the Lutheran Minnesota Conference whereby it would purchase the school’s buildings and Bevens Creek Mill, paying $1000 beginning five years from 1 October 1874. Its intention was to establish another St. Ansgar’s School at East Union and thereby replace St. Ansgar’s Academy. After the move to St. Peter in 1876, St. Ansgar’s Academy was renamed Gustavus Adolphus College.