Geology Department. Records of the Geology Department, 1890-Ongoing. GACA Collection 412. 2 Hollinger boxes and digital media.
The Geology Department collection contains correspondence, department chair files, lecture notes, syllabi, exams, a geology graduate directory, and clippings. Geology classes have been taught at Gustavus Adolphus College since 1889. A large collection of geological specimens can be found on campus in the Chester Johnson Geology Museum in Nobel Hall.
Geology classes were first taught at Gustavus Adolphus College during the 1890 academic year as part of the physical sciences course offerings. It had moved under the natural history/sciences course offerings by 1894, and the 1913 course catalog showed Geology courses in their own section. When Chester Johnson joined the faculty in 1940, the Geology program began to develop into a more formal department.
This collection is divided into three series: Administrative; Class Materials; and Miscellaneous.
Administrative consists of correspondence, department chair files, an inventory, purchase information, and a self-study.
Class Materials includes lecture notes, syllabi, and exams from various classes.
Miscellaneous contains an alumni directory, newsletters and clippings, and a summary of activities.