Department of Communication Studies. Collection of the Department of Communication Studies, 1997-Ongoing. GACA Collection 207. ½ Hollinger box and digital media.
The Department of Communication Studies collection contains department files and student projects from the 2000s. The student projects from the 2000s include photographs and video recordings.
There is a long history of debate and speech at Gustavus Adolphus College. There were many literary clubs for men and women that participated in both inter-mural and extra-mural debate competitions. Besides these clubs, oratory was a required part of the English curriculum.
The first oratory class was under the English Department, classified as an Expressions class. Expressions became its own department in 1909 and added a second class, Argumentation and Debate in 1915. In 1919, Expressions became the Department of Public Speaking, and students were required to participate in inter-collegiate debates. It became the Speech Department in 1930, then the Speech and Theatre Department in 1969, then back to the Speech Department in 1984, and Speech and Communication Studies in 1985. The current title of Communication Studies began in 1998.
*Information gleaned from the Gustavus Adolphus College Catalogs