Department of Chemistry. Collection of the Department of Chemistry, 1954-Ongoing. GACA Collection 433. 4 folders.
The Department of Chemistry collection consists mainly of photographs. Themes include images of lab equipment, students conducting experiments, and chemistry professors on a retreat. It also includes departmental posters, newspaper clippings, and a note to alumni regarding the formation of the Association of Gustavus Chemists.
Chemistry was first introduced to the Natural Science Department at Gustavus Adolphus College during 1886. The department also consisted of Botany, Physics, Physiology, and Zoology. The department was renamed the Physical Science Department in 1888 when it added Astronomy, Geology, and Physical Geography. In 1894 the sciences spilt into two categories, Physical Sciences and Natural History. Physical Sciences was made up of Physics, Chemistry and Astronomy. In 1901, Advanced Chemistry and Organic Chemistry were added to the course catalog along with General Chemistry. During 1914, the Physical Sciences split into individual departments and the Department of Chemistry was formed. The Biochemistry department formed during 1995.