Department of Psychological Science. Collection of the Department of Psychological Science, 1981-Ongoing. GACA Collection 446. 1 Records Center Carton, ½ Hollinger box, and 1 gray box.
The Department of Psychological Science collection consists of planning correspondence concerning the Kendall Lecture Series, Emil’s Epilogue, the Psychology newsletter and Psi Chi Honor Society materials. Other materials include budgets, chair files, department evaluations, and photographs of classrooms, activities, students, faculty, picnics, etc. There are a few memorabilia items, including shirts, stamps, a graduation honors cord, and department name plates. The majority of the materials come from the 1980s-2000s.
The first psychology course at Gustavus Adolphus College was offered in 1894 by the Philosophy Department. In 1913, the Psychology and Education Department was created. In 1925, the Psychology Department was created; the department changed its name to Psychological Science in 2012.
The first course relating to neuroscience, Physiological Psychology, was offered in 1964. The Neuroscience minor was created in 2005 and consists of courses from both psychology and biology departments.
This collection is divided into three series: Department, John Kendall Lecture Series, and Psi Chi Honor Society.
Department contains all materials related to the department, including administrative and financial materials, newsletters, conference and symposium materials, and photographs.
John Kendall Lecture Series consists of a history of the lecture series as well as transcripts of lectures.
Psi Chi Honor Society includes membership lists, budgets, reports, and activities.