Department of Greek, Latin, and Classical Studies. Collection of the Department of Greek, Latin, and Classical Studies, 2006-Ongoing. GACA Collection 463. 1 folder and digital media.
The collection of the Department of Greek, Latin, and Classical Studies contains videos and documents relating to the history and activities of the Classics Department, faculty, and students. Items range from 2006 to present, but detail activities from the College’s founding in 1862.
Latin has been part of Gustavus Adolphus College since the founding, when it was taught in Swedish as part of the Preparatory Course, and eventually moved to the Academic Course. Greek was introduced in 1883, also as part of the Academic course. In 1899, the “Classical” course of study was introduced, including both Greek and Latin in its offerings. In 1913, these progressions disappeared and Greek and Latin became electives grouped with other foreign languages. Greek and Latin could be combined into a major starting with the introduction of the major system in the 1930s, but were still organized within the Foreign Language department until the introduction of the Classics Department in 1979. “Ancient History” and “Western Civilization” began as part of the History department in 1950, and were subsumed into the Classics Department upon creation. In 1994, the department was renamed “Classics, Greek, and Latin,” and in 2019, it was renamed “Greek, Latin, and Classical Studies.”