To learn more about this collection please see the finding aid link found above, and/or visit the College and Lutheran Church Archives to use these primary sources.
Department of Physics. Collection of the Department of Physics, 1930-Ongoing. GACA Collection 464. Digital media.
The Department of Physics collection consists of digital photos and videos detailing the activities of students and faculty. Also included are newsletters, an advising guide, and lists of graduates.
Physics was first introduced in the Mathematics and Natural Science Department at Gustavus Adolphus College during 1884. The Natural Science department split from Mathematics in 1886, and consisted of Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Physiology, and Zoology. The department was renamed the Physical Science Department in 1888 when it added Astronomy, Geology, and Physical Geography. In 1894 the sciences spilt into two categories, Physical Sciences and Natural History. Physical Sciences was made up of Physics, Chemistry and Astronomy. During 1914, the Physical Sciences split into individual departments, but Physics classes kept the Physical Science name. In 1941, it was renamed the Department of Physics.