Scandian Grove Lutheran Church. Records of Scandian Grove Lutheran Church, Norseland, Minnesota, 1858-1993. LCA Collection 12. 3 Records Center Cartons, 1 oversize Hollinger box, 3 Hollinger boxes, 2 note card boxes, 1 flat box, 1 telescoping box, and 1 oversize folder.
The Scandian Grove Lutheran Church collection consists of the church’s records from its founding in 1858 through the creation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Materials include annual reports, minutes, membership cards and lists, transfer records, financial ledgers, Sunday bulletins, photographs, and event programs along with other less substantial papers. Also included are two histories written by Emeroy Johnson, and short history written by Herman Solomonson that includes information about the Dakota Conflict in 1862 and the grasshopper plague from 1873-78. The church served a Swedish-American population, and as a result, many records from the 1800s and early 1900s are in Swedish. Scandian Grove Lutheran Church is located approximately twelve miles to the northwest of St. Peter, Minnesota. There are a couple materials after the ELCA’s formation during January 1988.
Swedish immigrants banded together to form the Scandian Grove Lutheran Church on 13 June 1858. These Lutherans had been meeting informally in the home of Andrew Thorson since 1855. Their church community became one of the thirteen original congregations within the Minnesota Conference of the Augustana Lutheran Church.
Located just outside of Norseland, Minnesota and approximately twelve miles from St. Peter, Minnesota, members of the local congregation played a role in bringing Gustavus Adolphus College to St. Peter. Members served on the college’s building committee, and they pledged the needed financial resources to help the college grow. The congregation of the church has been primarily farmers and people living in rural areas of Nicollet County.
* Information obtained from the collection.
The collection is described within the following seven content areas.
Administrative, 1858-1992: This series shows activities and actions of the church’s administration. Materials include reports, minutes, protocol books, opinion surveys, and records of the library. Most documents are pre 1986, with one annual report from 1992.
Events, 1910-1983: Materials in this section are diverse but pertain to church events. Included are bulletins for Sunday services, funerals, special events, and programs. The bulk of materials are from the late 1940s through the late 1970s.
Financial, 1889-1986: Records in the financial portion of this collection consist of budgets, offering/donation records, treasurer ledger books, financial receipts, and stewardship planning files.
Groups and Church Bodies, 1892-1988: Papers of many organizations active within Scandian Grove are included. These include the Augustana Church Women, Churchmen, Junior Missionary Society, Ladies Aid, Luther League, Lutheran Brotherhood, Lutheran Church Women, Miriam Circle, Ninety and Nine Club, Sewing Circle, Women’s Missionary Society, Young People’s Society, and the Young Women’s Missionary Society.
Histories, 1892-1983: Clippings of various anniversaries and dedications makeup this series. Included in this section are two books written by Emeroy Johnson.
Membership, 1858-1993: Papers in this portion of the collection document members from the church’s founding through its merger into the ELCA. Major materials include directory books and transfer records. In addition, there are papers concerning confirmands, communion records, and vacation bible school reports and attendance logs.
Miscellaneous, 1883-1980s: This section includes sermon notes and the pastoral call for Rev. John Pehrson, a letter from Mrs. Cederstam to Mrs. Benson, letters to Pastor Belland after the church fire, newspaper clippings relating to the church and its members, scrapbook pages, and photographs of members, clergy, and Confirmation classes.