Lutheran Church Library Association. Collection of the Lutheran Church Library Association, 1933-2002. LCA Collection 171. 1 Records Center Carton and 1 Hollinger box.
The Lutheran Church Library Association collection contains founding documents, the constitution, and minutes of the Association. Also included are photographs, workshop brochures, correspondence, and membership materials. Much of the information in this collection supported churches in constructing their own library.
The Lutheran Church Library Association was established and presided over by Erwin E. John in 1958. Several Lutheran publishing companies were involved in the release of Lutheran Libraries, the Association’s official journal edited by Erwin E. John. Membership spread to encompass many local chapters of various Christian denominations. In 2004 the organization changed its name to the National Church Library Association in efforts to reach broader communities of Christian membership. The association ceased in 2012 after membership and funding began to decrease.
Information obtained from www.churchlibraries.org on 24 May 2013.
This collection is divided into four series: Administrative, Anniversaries, LCLA Workshops, and Miscellaneous.
Administrative, 1933-2002 contains founding materials, minutes, and correspondence. It also holds various reports and LCLA bulletins.
Anniversaries, 1968-98 includes programs, articles, and correspondence from various anniversary celebrations.
LCLA Workshops, 1959-2002 consists of programs, planning materials, inquiries, and class information from workshops teaching church representatives how to start church libraries. This series also contains photographs documenting this event when it was hosted at Gustavus Adolphus College throughout the 1960s and 1970s.
Miscellaneous, 1937-2000 holds newsletters, articles, essays, and suggestions for church libraries.