To learn more about this collection please see the finding aid link found above, and/or visit the College and Lutheran Church Archives to use these primary sources.
English Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension. Records of the English Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension, St. Paul, Minnesota, 1891-1960. LCA Collection 177. 1 Hollinger box and 1 flat box.
The Records of the English Evangelical Church of the Ascension contain founding constitutions, financial documents, and meeting minutes. Also included are membership rosters as well as baptism, confirmation, marriage, and funeral records.
The first service under the leadership of field Missionary, R.H. Gerberding, was held on 21 October 1923 in Groveland Park School in Saint Paul, and the congregation was officially organized on 28 December 1923. Land for a building was purchased on Stanford and Cleveland avenues in Saint Paul and initial construction began on 4 September 1924, shortly followed by the placing of the cornerstone on 5 October. The first service in the new worship space was held on 25 December 1924 and the church was officially dedicated in a Festival of Dedication 15-22 February 1925. The church harbored an organized Sunday School, choirs, an active Women’s Missionary and Aid Society, and several clubs for men and children.
* Information obtained from this collection and LCA Collection 16.