Augustana Lutheran Church. Collection of Luther Leagues from the Minnesota and Red River Valley Conferences, 1896-1966. LCA Collection 266. 1 Records Center Carton, 3 ½ Hollinger boxes, and 1 flat box.
The Luther Leagues collection contains minutes, financial information, programs, reports, constitutions, and correspondence of groups ranging from local to national levels. The majority of the materials are from congregations and districts in the Minnesota and Red River Valley Conferences as well as materials from the Minnesota Conference Luther League. There are also a small number of materials from the Augustana Synod.
The national Luther League came into existence during 1895; the Augustana Synod approved a league in 1910; the Minnesota Conference’s league held their first conference in 1911; and the Red River Valley Conference held their inaugural conference during 1946.
Youth organizations existed in local congregations and often predated the larger bodies. These congregational “Luther Leagues” were known generally as Young People’s Societies and had been in existence since at least the mid-1880s. As a result of this earlier development, many leagues were already in existence when the conference leagues formed in the early 1900s.