Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (Suomi Synod). Collection of the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, 1886-1962. LCA Collection 287. 5 ½ Hollinger boxes.
The Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church of America collection consists mainly of Kirkollinen Kalenteri, calendars used in the Finnish Churches that would indicate days and seasons of fasting and festivals in the Christian religion. Also included are hymnbooks, letters, official documents, list of congregations, and various publications from the Suomi Synod.
The Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (FELC), also known as the Suomi Synod, was organized at Calumet, Michigan in 1890. In 1896, the church established Suomi College and Theological Seminary, now called Finlandia University, in Hancock, Michigan. In 1962, the FELC along with other Lutheran-church bodies merged into the Lutheran Church in America (LCA). The LCA would then be part of the merger that created the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) in 1988.