Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Conducting research at the college level can be exciting, frustrating, confusing and inspiring. Sometimes all at once! This guide helps answer all of your research questions. It covers how to approach a research assignment; how to find books, articles, and other kinds of sources; how to make choices among the sources you find; and where you can get help.
For more information on library hours and services, explore the Library FAQs page and our overview of the Library. You can also check out some of our video tutorials. Don't hesitate to contact anyone - either in person or virtually - at the Information Desk or via Reference Services if you have any questions.
You can always get help from a librarian with your research, no matter the topic. We are here to provide support for you so please reach out. Here's how to get in contact with us:
Library Guide Overview
Here's a quick overview of what information you'll find on this guide:
- Getting Started: decode your assignment prompt and develop your topic
- Source Types: various types of source materials and how to access them
- Books: search and find books in our library and beyond
- Articles: recommended article databases to search in addition to searching Google Scholar
- Web: tips on using the web wisely to find reliable information
- Data: ideas for finding statistics and other sources of data
- Search Tips: various ways to search and common mistakes to avoid
- Evaluating Sources: identify experts for any topic and make sure you have reliable information
- Research as Conversation: a more sophisticated way to think about research, including bibliographic traces
- Tracking Down Materials: info on interlibrary loan and other ways to find hard copies of materials
- Citing Sources: tools and tips for citing your work and keeping track of sources
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License