Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
When you have an article with references, you can see if a particular reference is available by looking the journal's name up at the link below. Then you can use the volume and date information to navigate to the article. If we don't have access to that journal, we usually can get it from another library.
Below is a list of some of the key geography journals, and where they are indexed. Full text availability is listed in parentheses. If full text available is not listed, you can request articles from another library.
These key geography journals are indexed in Academic Search Premier (ASP):
- Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment
- Annals of the American Association of Geographers (current issue available in print; full text in ASP with 18 month delay)
- Antipode (full text in ASP with 12 month delay)
- Area (full text in ASP with 12 month delay)
- Cultural Geographies (full text current in Sage Premier)
- Economic Geography (full text online)
- Environment and Planning A-D (full text current in Sage Premier)
- Geographical Analysis (full text in ASP with 12 month delay)
- Geographical Review (full text online)
- Human Ecology (full text current in ASP)
- International Journal of Geographic Information Science (GIS) (full text in ASP with 18 month delay)
- Journal of Cultural Geography
- Journal of the American Planning Association (JAPA) (full text online)
- Political Geography
- Progress in Human Geography (full text current in ASP)
- Progress in Physical Geography (full text current in Sage Premier)
- Remote Sensing of Environment
- Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers (full text in ASP with 12 month delay)
- Urban Affairs Review (full text current in Sage Premier)
- Urban Studies (Sage Publications) (full text current in Sage Premier)
These journals are indexed in the Social Sciences Citation Index (Web of Science):
- Global Environmental Change: Human and Policy Dimensions (available in print 1995-2016)
- Urban Geography
The journal GeoJournal is available in full text via Springer
Recommended Article Databases
Academic Search Premier
A good place to start research on most any subject. This multi-disciplinary database indexes nearly 8,050 publications and provides full text for nearly 4,600, including more than 3,900 peer-reviewed journals. Access is provided by eLibraryMN (ELM).
Contains citations to nearly 2 million records about geology and earth sciences. It is international in scope, and citations date from 1785 to the present.
GSW provides access to the full text of more than 40 journals in the earth sciences. The default search includes both GSW journals and the GeoRef index. To limit your search to GSW full text journals only, select "All GSW journals" on the Quick Search or Advanced Search menu.
This search engine points toward scholarly research rather than all Web-based sources. It is stronger in the sciences than in the humanities, with social sciences somewhere in between. One interesting feature of Google Scholar is that in includes a link to sources that cite a particular item. Not all of the articles in Google Scholar are free; the library can obtain many of them for you through Interlibrary loan.
Full-text backfiles to over 350 scholarly journals from more than 25 academic disciplines published between the 19th and 21st centuries in the JSTOR Arts & Sciences I, Arts & Sciences II, and Language & Literature collections. JSTOR provides complete journal backruns from the date of initial publication up to a "moving wall" of 3 to 5 years before the present year. To limit your search to full text articles, make sure that the option to "include links to external content" is turned off.
ProQuest US Newsstream
Indexing and selected full text access to over 350 newspapers from around the world. Archival coverage begins in 1985 for some titles. Access is provided by eLibraryMN (ELM).
Indexes over 500 scholarly journals published by SAGE in a range of disciplines, including many social sciences titles. Includes current full text for over 30 journals and back issues for hundreds of journals. Many journals include full backfiles - back to 1960s or earlier. To search articles by discipline, click "Browse" > "Journals by discipline."
Springer All America's Package
Provides access to over 1,500 titles in full text, from 1997-present.
Web of Science (Web of Knowledge)
Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts & Humanities Citation Index of the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI). Besides indexing a wide range of journals in the sciences, social sciences, and history, this resource allows you to search for articles that cite a specific author or published work. Coverage from 1997 to the present. Click on the "Web of Science" tab to limit your search to one or more specific citation databases.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License