Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Journals List: Do We Have this Journal?
When you have a source with a bibliography, you can see if a particular article from the bibliography is available by looking the journal's name up at the link below. Then you can use the volume and date information to navigate to the article. If we don't have access to that journal, we usually can get it from another library.
Below is a list of some of the key geography journals, and where they are indexed. Full text availability is listed in parentheses. If full text available is not listed, you can request articles from another library.
These key geography journals are indexed in Academic Search Premier (ASP):
- Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment
- Annals of the American Association of Geographers (current issue available in print; full text in ASP with 18 month delay)
- Antipode (full text in ASP with 12 month delay)
- Area (full text in ASP with 12 month delay)
- Cultural Geographies (full text current in Sage Premier)
- Economic Geography (full text online)
- Environment and Planning A-D (full text current in Sage Premier)
- Geographical Analysis (full text in ASP with 12 month delay)
- Geographical Review (full text online)
- Geography Compass (indexed in ASP)
- Human Ecology (full text online)
- International Journal of Geographical Information Science (GIS) (full text in ASP with 18 month delay)
- Journal of Cultural Geography
- Journal of the American Planning Association (JAPA) (full text online)
- Political Geography
- Progress in Human Geography (full text current in ASP)
- Progress in Physical Geography (full text current in Sage Premier)
- Remote Sensing of Environment
- Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers (full text in ASP with 12 month delay)
- Urban Affairs Review (full text current in Sage Premier)
- Urban Studies (Sage Publications) (full text current in Sage Premier)
These journals are indexed in the Social Sciences Citation Index (Web of Science):
- Global Environmental Change: Human and Policy Dimensions (available in print 1995-2016)
- Urban Geography
The journal GeoJournal is available in full text via Springer
Recommended Article Databases
Academic Search Premier This link opens in a new window
A good place to start research on most any subject. This multi-disciplinary database indexes nearly 8,050 publications and provides full text for nearly 4,600, including more than 3,900 peer-reviewed journals. Access is provided by eLibraryMN (ELM).
Access World News (Newsbank) This link opens in a new window
Provides the full text of global, regional and local news sources. Coverage ranges from over 40 Minnesota sources to international sources from over 200 countries.
GeoRefS This link opens in a new window
Contains citations to nearly 2 million records about geology and earth sciences. It is international in scope, and citations date from 1785 to the present.
GeoScienceWorld This link opens in a new window
GSW provides access to the full text of more than 40 journals in the earth sciences. The default search includes both GSW journals and the GeoRef index. To limit your search to GSW full text journals only, select "All GSW journals" on the Quick Search or Advanced Search menu.
Google Scholar This link opens in a new window
This search engine points toward scholarly research rather than all Web-based sources. It is stronger in the sciences than in the humanities, with social sciences somewhere in between. One interesting feature of Google Scholar is that in includes a link to sources that cite a particular item. Not all of the articles in Google Scholar are free; the library can obtain many of them for you through Interlibrary loan.
ProQuest US Newsstream This link opens in a new window
Indexing and selected full text access to over 350 newspapers from around the world. Archival coverage begins in 1985 for some titles. Access is provided by eLibraryMN (ELM).
Web of Science (Web of Knowledge) This link opens in a new window
Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts & Humanities Citation Index of the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI). Besides indexing a wide range of journals in the sciences, social sciences, and history, this resource allows you to search for articles that cite a specific author or published work. Coverage from 1997 to the present. Click on the "Web of Science" tab to limit your search to one or more specific citation databases.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License