Gustavus Adolphus School of Commerce. Student Records of the School of Commerce, 1889-1922. GACA Collection 365. 1 Hollinger box and 1 flat box.
The Gustavus Adolphus School of Commerce collection contains student records from the school. Grade reports, record books, records of work, reports of examinations, and the school register all contain student names and grades. Also included in this collection are enrollment slips. The School of Commerce began in 1887 and closed in 1922 due to decreasing registrants.
The School of Commerce at Gustavus Adolphus College began in 1887 with the purpose of teaching business practices. Courses included bookkeeping, penmanship, arithmetic, commercial correspondence, civil government, shorthand and typewriting, business practice, Bible knowledge, grammar, spelling, commercial, and constitutional law. The School of Commerce offered Bachelors and Masters degrees in Bookkeeping/Accounting, along with course tracks in Shorthand and Typewriting and Short Business. Due to declining enrollment the School of Commerce closed at the end of the 1921-22 academic year. All business classes were afterwards provided by the Economics Department of Gustavus Adolphus College.