Department of Biology. Collection of the Department of Biology, 1977-Ongoing. GACA Collection 426. 1 Hollinger box, 1 oversize folder, and digital media.
The Department of Biology collection consists mainly of photographs. Themes include department parties, biology faculty and students, and outdoor activities/picnics. Materials from Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society are also held in this collection.
Botany was the first science class taught at Gustavus Adolphus College beginning in 1881. By 1886, the Natural Science department consisted of Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Physiology, and Zoology. The department was renamed Physical Sciences in 1888 when it added Astronomy, Geology, and Physical Geography. In 1894, the sciences split into two categories, Physical Sciences and Natural History. Natural History was comprised of Botany, Geology, and Zoology. In 1901, Human Physiology and Physical Geography were added to the department. In 1913, the sciences split into individual departments and the Department of Biology was born.