The Minnesota Historical and Cultural Grants mission is to support projects of enduring value for the cause of history and historic preservation across the state.
The Minnesota Historical and Cultural Grants Program has been made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
The College and Lutheran Church Archives makes available for use and study significant historical materials documenting Gustavus Adolphus College and the Lutheran Church in America.
The Archives houses materials in three main areas: Gustavus Adolphus College Archives (GACA), College Archives Manuscript Collections (CAMC), and Lutheran Church Archives (LCA).
The GACA division holds materials documenting the college's administrative, academic, and support departments along with materials on athletics and student organizations.
Materials in the CAMC document people and organizations affiliated with Gustavus. This includes groups and alumni along with former members of the faculty, administration, and staff.
The Lutheran Church Archives consist primarily of administrative records of Minnesota affiliates of the Lutheran Church in America (LCA). Predecessor and supporting synods have included the Minnesota Conference and Synod, the Red River Valley Conference and Synod, and the English Evangelical Lutheran Synod of the Northwest. In addition, there are congregational histories, biographical files regarding clergy and church leaders, and microfilmed church records (ending about 1930).
In Spring 2012 the College Archives received a Minnesota Historical and Cultural Grant of $3868 for the digitization of pre-1920 college newspapers.
This project included the digitization of six publications (approx. 5,147 pages): Annual Messenger (1891), Vox Collegii (1891), Heimdall (1891), Gustaviana (1891-95), Gustavus Adolphus Journal (1896-1902), and College Breezes (1902-20).
As much used resources in finding information from the 1890s and early 1900s, digitization has increased accessibility, improved service, and preserved the viewing quality of the century-old newspapers.
To view these publications visit Archives Digital Collections
Images from College and Lutheran Church Archives
In Spring 2011 the College and Lutheran Church Archives received a Minnesota Historical and Cultural grant of $7000 helped purchase 25 ranges (13 shelving units/961 linear feet) of archival quality shelving for the storage of collections in the College Archives. Through the acquisition of new shelving, the Archives gained 353 linear feet of open shelving for future donated and transferred collections.
The new shelving aided in archival conservation, providing a suitable place for the storage of collections previously stacked on the floor, kept in closets, and housed in the library's basement. Many collections were also reboxed at this time, and the new shelving's size ensured boxes would no longer overhang, thus increasing safety.
While in the process of transferring collections during the installation process, the collection inventory locator database was expanded and improved in order to provide researchers with efficient service when they seek to access collections and materials.
Promotion of the College and Lutheran Church Archives was enhanced as a result of receiving the grant. An open house and tours were held following the shelving installation, and other publicity efforts included sharing the grant's impact in both campus publications and the Twin Cities Archives Round Table (TCART)'s newsletter.
Annual Messenger, 1891
Vox Collegii, 1891